After School Program (ASP)
4th Quarter registration is closed. Registration for the 1st quarter of the 2013-14 school year enrollments are being accepted until July 19th. All CPSC families who meet this deadline will be enrolled.
Daily ASP Schedule:
3:05 pm Check-in & attendance; Outside time
3:40 Snack & meeting time
4:00 Quiet reading, homework
4:30 Activity time
5:45-6pm Pick-up in the lobby
Central Park School for Children's After School Program (ASP) supports the social, emotional, intellectual and physical development of students through age-appropriate enrichment and recreational activities. It provides a safe, fun environment that is a natural extension of our child-centered school program. Staffing includes one counselor for every fifteen students, and the program serves 70 children on average.
ASP students are divided into groups based on age/grade levels. Our afternoon includes a healthy snack and a mix of outdoor and indoor creative play — dramatic play, arts and crafts, hands-on activities, Kapla blocks, sports and organized games — plus a 30-minute period of rest and quiet reading.
Exploratoriums are arts-based programs with guest artists leading hour-long classes over a period of time. Exploratoriums are offered free of charge to students enrolled in ASP. In the past we have offered Djembe Drumming with Dante Mitchell, Creative Dance with Gaspard Louis (formerly of Pilobolus Dance Theater), and Mural Painting with Doug Desjardins.
Hours & Days of Operation
- ASP operates from school dismissal (3:15 pm) to 6 pm.
- ASP starts at 1:20 pm on our monthly Early Release days, and is offered at no extra charge for children who would regularly attend ASP that day. Children not enrolled in ASP can attend until 4 pm or until 6 pm; see fees below.
- On days when school is dismissed early due to inclement weather, ASP will be canceled.
- Download the registration form and the automatic draft form.
- Enrollment is by the quarter.
- Minimum of a 3 day per week commitment is required. Families may choose which days their child(ren) will attend but may not change that schedule until the next quarter begins. Schedule changes must be arranged with the ASP director one week before the new quarter begins.
- If your child is currently enrolled in ASP and you would like to keep the same schedule each quarter, there is no need to contact the ASP director; your spot will be held for you for the entire school year.
- New enrollments:
- A minimum of one week's notice before each quarter is required for new students entering ASP. Mid-quarter enrollments cannot be accepted.
- If space is available, new ASP enrollments are accepted during intersession breaks, with the enrollment deadline one week before the quarter begins. To enroll during an intersession break, contact the ASP director to discuss availability.
- The ASP director will schedule a meeting with each new family entering the ASP to ensure that the child and parents understand the daily routine.
- Rates are per month, based on 10 equal payments made from August to May, and not related to the number of days in any given month. Payments may be made by automatic bank draft (direct withdrawal).
- Early Release Day care for children enrolled in ASP is included in fees above.
- Early Release Day care for children NOT enrolled in ASP is $20 (1:20-4 pm) or $35 (1:20-6 pm). Arrangements must be made with the ASP director by the previous Wednesday to guarantee space. After that date, spaces go first-come, first-served.
- Limited 50% scholarships are available. Please contact the ASP director for a scholarship request form.
- Late Pickup Fee: Pick your child up by 6:05 pm to avoid a late pickup charge of $20.
- Insufficient Fund Fee: $25. Repeated return of tuition payments will require cash or cashier's check for future payments.
- Emergency care: $35 (see policy below).
Emergency Care Policy
- CPSC can provide emergency after school care (for a $35 fee) three times per family per school year. The student's family must call by noon that day to take advantage of these emergency drop-ins. Otherwise, the Late Pick-Up policy in our Parent Handbook will apply.
- If possible, please notify the ASP director of emergency care needs prior to the drop-in date.
- If you think your child might experience some stress entering ASP as a first-time drop-in, please let the ASP director know so that she may ensure your child's success.
Another After School Option
After School Clubs provide another after school option for CPSC families. These themed clubs are open to all CPSC students, including but not limited to those enrolled in ASP. Visit the After School Clubs page for offerings and prices.
What about Before-School care?
Free before-school care begins at 7:45 a.m. Curbside dropoff starts at 8:10. When no staff are outside, you must park and walk your child into school.
For further information about ASP, please contact Amy Elmore, After School Program Director, at 919-682-1200 ext. 108 or amye [at symbol] cpsfc.org.